Last updated: September 2019
I’m Doug Belshaw, Open Educational Thinkerer. I help people become more productive in their use of technology.
I’m also a consultant through Dynamic Skillset, where I help people and organisations become more productive in their use of technology, and I co-founded a co-operative known as We Are Open which exists to spread the culture, processes, and benefits of working openly.
In previous guises I’ve worked on Open Badges and web literacy for Mozilla and on mobile learning, digital literacies, and Open Educational Resources for Jisc. Before that was a (History) teacher and senior leader in schools.
You can get updates to every blog post I publish via RSS or by following me on Twitter and LinkedIn. I use a private Slack channel and social.coop to talk to other like-minded people online, as I’m kind of done with providing data to ad-supported social networks that only serve to enrich venture capitalists and shareholders.
I’ve got a newsletter called Thought Shrapnel which goes out every Sunday to around 1,500 people. The links I come across for that newsletter get pushed out to my Telegram channel called ‘Thought Shrapnel Live!’
If you’re interested in my daily routine, I wrote about it in March 2017 here.
My most popular posts from each year since 2006 can be found below:
- 3 reasons I’ll not be returning to Twitter
- Friends don’t let friends use Facebook
- So it turns out that you can pretty much do whatever you like on your own website
- Against mass consumption of ‘already certified’ credentials
- How to build an architecture of participation
- 3 things I’ve learned from 200 weeks of sending out an email newsletter
- Utopia, pedagogy, and G-Suite for Education
- 7 approaches to educational technology integration
- Open Badges, BlockCerts, and high-stakes credentialing
- A new dawn for Open Badges
- Why I left teaching five years ago
- HOWTO: use GitHub Pages to host a bootstrap-themed website
- Today is my last day at Mozilla
- The three biggest (perceived) problems with Open Badges
- HOWTO: Trello Kanban
- Why I’m ditching Evernote for Simplenote (and Notational Velocity)
- HOWTO: Ditch Gmail for self-hosted webmail
- FirefoxOS v2.0 is possibly the easiest-to-use smartphone operating system I’ve experienced
- My morning routine
- The Web Literacy Standard is dead (long live the Web Literacy Map!)
- What I learned from turning my ‘Out of Office’ auto-replies on for a month
- Why I’m saying goodbye to Dropbox and hello to SpiderOak Hive
- Announcing the Web Literacy Standard (specification)
- A tribute to Chris Allan (@infernaldepart)
- Answering your questions about Open Badges
- Using Raspberry Pi and XBMC to build an ultra-cheap HTPC
- This is why teachers leave teaching
- Platforms as standards? 10 days with the Nokia N9.
- How I use a MacBook Pro (October 2012)
- How to make #openbadges work for you and your organisation
- How I Use a MacBook Pro (May 2011)
- What’s the opposite of ‘digital Taylorism’?
- The Essential Elements of Digital Literacies (#digilit)
- #ukedchat #fail: TES attempts takeover cover-up whilst Pearson muscles-in on grassroots Twitter teacher CPD
- 30 things I’ve learned in 30 years
- 5 characteristics of successful organisations
- 5 genuinely useful Twitter tools
- Google Apps (Education Edition) vs. Microsoft [email protected]
- 7 things the Bible taught me about productivity
- Things I learned this week – #1
- HOWTO: Add an RSS feed to Google Sites
- Are organizations like brains?
- Daniel Goleman on Leadership and Emotional Intelligence
- HOWTO: Present full-screen using Prezi and an Apple Remote [OSX]
- HOWTO: Tether an iPhone to a netbook running Jolicloud
- Page peel script
- How to upgrade your Nokia N95 to v12.x firmware and make it a whole lot better
- 5 ways to make ‘textbook lessons’ more interesting
- 4 reasons you should jailbreak your iPhone 3G
- What is a VLE?
- Nokia N95 tips, reviews and software all in one place
- Demotivational posters
- Apple iPhone vs Nokia N95
- My favourite LOLcats
- How NOT to upgrade your Xbox
- The purpose of education? It isn’t this…
- Some ideas about the structure of my thesis proposal essay
- Managing Organizational Change – diagram
- Barriers to teachers’ use of ICT
- Ed.D. Thesis Proposal Outline
Thanks for getting this far and it’s great to have you as a new subscriber!