How to upgrade your Nokia N95 to v12.x firmware and make it a whole lot better
A couple of weeks ago I wanted to upgrade the firmware on my Nokia N95 after I’d read lots of blog posts saying how wonderful the new version was. In fact, some said it was like having a new phone! Unfortunately, I managed to re-install the same firmware over the top of my existing one and lose all of my contacts and settings in the process! 😮
The problem was that the Nokia Software Updater reads the product code in your phone. Mine is an Orange handset and they have not done the testing for this particular firmware release yet. In other countries they’re using it fine. Therefore if you fool the updater into thinking it’s a SIM-free model you’ll be able to do the update (product code: 0536062). That’s what I did and what I’m going to show you how to do below…
Before I continue: a disclaimer: this is not supported by Nokia or by your service provider. The following procedure is undertaken entirely at your own risk and I take no responsibility if your phone ends up as a rather expensive doorstop. You might want to read this guy’s experience before proceeding…
The firmware upgrade procedure
1. Backup all your contacts, etc. by using the Nokia PC Suite Backup feature (Nokia Content Copier). I always like to have double-backups (especially since last time!) so backup your contacts to memory card using your phone as well.
2. Download and install the free Nemesis Service Suite (5MB download) . Keep pressing next and accept the default installation (Virtual USB mode)
3. Connect your fully-charged Nokia N95 via USB cable to your computer. Run Nemesis Service Suite and click on the magnifying glass at the top-right of the screen. This will search for connected devices.
4. Click on the Phone Info icon to bring up details about your connected N95. If it comes up with ‘error’ then try closing Nokia PC Suite, unplugging and re-plugging the cable, etc.
***Make sure you’ve backed up your stuff!***
5. Click on the Read icon on the right-hand side of the screen to bring up details about the firmware on your N95. Press the radio button next to Product Code and change the numbers in the box to 0536062. Press the Write button.
6. To check that you have changed the product code successfully, disconnect your N95, reconnect it and then go through steps 3 and 4 again. You should see 0536062 in the box where you changed it.
7. You now need the Nokia Software Updater. Get there by opening Nokia PC Suite and clicking on the bottom right-hand button:
***Make sure your phone is fully charged!***
8. The Nokia Software Updater should tell you that there are new updates for you to download. When you press Next, will begin the process of downloading and installing those updates.
9. Depending on the speed of your broadband connection, it will take around 10-15 minutes to download and install. Don’t touch the phone whilst it’s updating!
10. When it’s finished updating, your phone will restart and a message will appear on your computer. You will need to unplug and then re-plug your N95 into your computer. A message should come up when you try to connect saying that PC Suite is not installed on the N95. Follow the instructions to install it.
11. To get your phone back to how it was (contacts, etc.) simply use the backup program within Nokia PC Suite you used in step 1! 🙂
Many thanks to Dario Soltani at SimplySymbian for this blog post which helped a lot!
A note: don’t try to downgrade your firmware. You’ll brick your phone. 🙁
Photo credit: by khedara @ Flickr
6 thoughts on “How to upgrade your Nokia N95 to v12.x firmware and make it a whole lot better”
thanks a bunch, i finish the installation, and now i have the new firmware running smoothly thanks alot
I think this will work nicely but I was thinking to upgrade the memory to 8 gb as they sell the chip for the nokia n95 on ebay.. however i recieved eventualy but was larger than the slot… any thoughts on upgrading memory?
10x man, that really helped
10x man, that really helped