Open Badges location extension
New Extension to the #OpenBadges: Add location data to badges with GeoCoordinates https://t.co/dPHsMFnMco Thanks @dajbelshaw&@kayaelle!
— Open Badges (@OpenBadges) October 20, 2015
I’m delighted that, thanks to some help from Kerri Lemoie, the Open Badges extension for geolocation that I proposed is now available for use. It was simple enough to do the initial coding following the following the example using JSON-LD but Kerri (and Nate Otto)
Details of how Open Badges extensions work can be found in this post I wrote for DMLcentral. It explains how version 1.1 of the specification allows for great things through extensions.
At the time of writing, the following extensions are now available:
- Apply Link — provides a URL allowing potential badge earners to apply for an opportunity specified by a badge issuer.
- Endorsement — allows a third party to publicly acknowledge the value of a badge designed, assessed, and issued by a particular issuer.
- Location — allows for the addition of the geographic coordinates associated with a badge.
- Accessibility — allows for the addition of content for people with disabilities.
- Original Creator — provides a way to track the origin of a badge when one organisation creates it for another.
I’m really pleased with all of this and delighted that the Open Badges ecosystem has a bright future!
Image CC BY-ND Bryan Mathers
If you’re interested in designing badge systems and think I might be able to help, please do get in touch via my consultancy, Dynamic Skillset. I have reduced rates for third sector organisations such as charities, non-profits and educational institutions.
One thought on “Open Badges location extension”