This week I’ve been:
- Sending out Issue #330 of my Thought Shrapnel newsletter. It was entitled, ‘You’d BETT-er believe it, people’ and was, as ever, made possible via those who support me on Patreon.
- Recording, editing and releasing Episode 115 of the Today In Digital Education (TIDE) podcast with my co-host Dai Barnes. We entitled this episode ‘Art, milk and parties’ and discussed our experiences at BETT, the history of art, veganism, criticism of Facebook, MoodleNet testing, smartphone-based party games, and more!
- Working on the MoodleNet project:
- Feverishly getting things ready for the 100-person initial testing period. We delayed it a bit and then finally went live on Thursday.
- Publishing a new page at new.moodle.net
- Rolling back our plans to take over the moodle.net domain after some HQ discussion.
- Launching the test version of MoodleNet to HQ testers and then the rest of the testing community.
- Scrambling after deploying an update caused something to fail that only an engineer (at that point asleep in Canada!) could fix.
- Simultaneously high-fiving one another with one hand and biting our fists with the other.
- Replying to testers who have been, on the whole, positive.
- Going through suggestions from testers on Changemap.
- Smiling at some of the collections that users have created.
- Filing a bunch of UI issues in GitLab.
- Getting ready surveys and emails to go to out to testers.
- Creating a short overview video of what MoodleNet currently looks like – and what we’re looking to quickly improve.
- Booking travel and accommodation to meet Gry Stene, Moodle’s Chief Product Officer, in Barcelona in late February
- Telling the world about an idea I’ve got to run weekly surgery appointment slots. They’re free, and I’m happy to discuss pretty much anything!
- Commenting on Laura’s draft of a post (subsequently published) about We Are Open Co-op raising our sights and being a bit more holistic in our thinking.
Putting together things for Thought Shrapnel:
- Trudging through the snow. It’s been deep and crisp and even in Northumberland over the last couple of days! We’ve had some fun sledging and having snowball fights.
- Helping my wife migrate from an iPhone (6S) to an Android smartphone (Google Pixel 3). The biggest hassle? WhatsApp chat history 🙄
Next week, I’m working on MoodleNet four days (Mon/Tues & Thurs/Fri) and diving into consultancy stuff on Wednesday. Remember, you can book a slot to have a chat if you think I can help with anything!