This week I’ve been:
- Dismayed. The result of the EU referendum will reverberate for years. I’m still in shock.
- Sending out Issue #220 of Doug Belshaw’s Thought Shrapnel, my weekly newsletter loosely focused on education, technology, and productivity. Many thanks to 9Sharp for sponsoring this week’s issue! (Note: I’m still looking for sponsors for July and September)
- Recording and releasing Episode 55 (‘Stronger Ink(ing)’) of the Today In Digital Education podcast, my weekly podcast with co-host Dai Barnes. We discussed the EU referendum, reading the news, Microsoft Surface devices and ‘inking’, Minecraft Educator edition, teaching novice programmers, contextual identity on the web, and more! You can discuss TIDE in our Slack channel.
- Spending time with my family before a week away from home. I took my time preparing slides, tied up loose ends, and did some reading.
- Flying to Denver via London for the Badge Summit and an ISTE pre-conference workshop. My flight was quite delayed but, due to a booking system error, British Airways ended up upgrading to Business Class.
- Keynoting the Badge Summit. You can find my slides here and Ian O’Byrne (my evil twin) kindly recorded my talk via Periscope (skip to around 22:30). I really enjoyed the event, organised by Noah Geisel, and found it a positive, optimistic, and energising day!
- Going out for dinner with various people from the Badge Summit, introducing Ian O’Byrne to some of my favourite whiskies, and drinking my first (and perhaps only ever) root beer float.
- Co-facilitating a pre-ISTE workshop on Open Badges ecosystems and pathways with Ian O’Byrne and Noah Geisel. Bryan Mathers also got involved with some live illustrating via Twitter from his man shed in London! you can check out the agenda and slides we used for the session, as well as a flavour of the workshop via these three Periscope videos: 1 / 2 / 3
I’m writing this from my hotel room in Denver on Saturday afternoon (local time). I’ll be here until Sunday night, then flying to London. After I’ve recovered from my jet lag and watched England’s EURO 2016 game, I’m facilitating a Digitalme event around employability on Tuesday. Then I’m off to Jersey to meet a potential client. Back home on Thursday night after a week away!