Please note that this script is NOT my own work! As I have stated below, I am simply making it available here in case it is taken down elsewhere. I have no idea on how to modify it. Sorry.
If you’re reading this on the blog rather than via the RSS feed, you’ll probably have already noticed the new addition in the top right-hand corner. The way in which the page ‘peels back’ to reveal a link to my educational consultancy business was inspired by a number of sites I’ve seen recently who use it for advertising. It’s remarkably easy to accomplish. Here’s how…
After a few initial searches I thought I was going to have to stump up $8 for the script. Not so. I came across this post which offered the script for free download. I’m providing it in the more compatible ZIP format below in case it becomes unavailable elsewhere.
The README file explains all, but it’s a very simple process:
- Extract the ZIP file.
- Edit the small.jpg file to your liking.
- Edit the large.jpg file to your liking.
- Open peel.js in a text editor such as Notepad or TextEdit.
- Search for, and replace http://www.dougbelshaw.com with the name of the site to which you want the advert to point.
- Upload the peel folder to the root directory of your website.
- Add the following between the <head> and </head> just after the <body> tag in the HTML of your homepage:
You should then see something similar to what I’ve got on this site. Let me know if and when you do something similar!