Open Educational Thinkerer
I spend my time helping people and organisations become more productive in their uses of technology. I'm currently working with Moodle on a new innovation project and I'm also a consultant and co-op founder.
I'm based in Northumberland, the English county of castles and coastlines. From here I work on a global scale and travel extensively. I've worked in every sector of education — in schools as a teacher and senior leader, further education with City & Guilds, higher education with Jisc, and informal learning with the non-profit Mozilla Foundation.
I'm perhaps best known for my work on digital literacies having written my doctoral thesis on the topic. I re-wrote this as an ebook and gave an overview of it in a TEDx talk that has been viewed tens of thousands of times.
At the Mozilla Foundation, I led work around developing a Web Literacy Map with a global community of stakeholders. My reason for joining Mozilla, however, was Open Badges. Millions of badges have been issued since 2011 and I continue to play a role in the development of the system through my work through We Are Open co-op.
I'm known for my analytical mind, an ability to explain difficult concepts in clear and straighforward ways, infectious enthusiasm, collaborative spirit, open ways of working, and evangelism of missions, tools, and processes in which I believe.
My guiding principle is to work with awesome people who are doing things to make the world a better place so if what I'm doing sounds like something that interests you, why not get in touch?
P.S. You may be interested in the following:
- Open Educational Thinkering — my main blog
- Thought Shrapnel — my weekly newsletter
- Today In Digital Education — a regular podcast I record with Dai Barnes
- Literaci.es — more in-depth posts about digital/web/new literacies
- Discours.es — interesting links, bookmarks, and quick thoughts
- Ambiguiti.es — a place for more philosophical musings
- Mastodon — where I discuss issues important to me with like-minded people